Friday, December 6, 2013

D is for Dallas... and Disappointment.


I registered for Dallas in June, but have been planning on it since last December.  Like the 2012 New York City Marathon, it was a big goal race a long time in the making.  It seemed a perfect end of the season race since my brother lives in Dallas and the course is pretty flat, and my biggest fear was that it would be too warm to attempt a fast half marathon.  Also like NYC, my dad and stepmom were amenable to the idea of traveling to the race as a mini-vacation and family get together.  Even better, Adam took up running and was determined to run the full in a 0 to marathon first year of running, and Brittany opted for the full as her main fall/winter race.  Perfect plan, right?  What could go wrong?  Well, as it turns out, just about everything, as once again Mother Nature stepped in to squash my best laid plans.  After the NYC cancelation debacle due to Sandy, the bombing at Boston, and now the ice storm-driven cancelation of Dallas, I am starting to think I'm cursed when it comes to running big city races.  With my knee resembling a "water balloon" (thanks to my doctor for that quote), it's probably best to not run, but I am just so disappointed.  I'd really been looking forward to pushing myself in a PR attempt, visiting with my family, and cheering on my brother in his first marathon.  But now I end the year with a jacked-up knee and not even an attempt on a half marathon PR, and it's just so disappointing to see so much planning, training, and anticipation go for naught.  Again.  Combined with a doctor's recommendation of no running for at least two weeks (yes, I was going to race on Sunday anyway), my year is over, I failed to meet the goals I set for myself at the start of 2013, and I don't know where that leaves me going in to 2014.  But as Allie said, bad things are said to happen in threes, so hopefully with NYC (canceled), Boston (bombed), and Dallas (canceled), I'll be in the clear from here on out.... If not, I may have to hang up my racing shoes for good :(

No comments:

Post a Comment