Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Unfortunately I still haven't gotten over the running apathy that I've been feeling since the NYC cancellation.  To make matters worse, my right knee has really been bothering me and it's become more and more painful to run each day over the last few weeks.  This is discouraging for the obvious reasons, and the fact that this is my "good" knee (the torn meniscus, cartilage fissures, tendinosis, and Baker's cyst which ended my soccer-playing days and brought me to distance running in the first place are in the left knee) only exacerbates my frustration

Today's visit to Sports Med confirmed my suspicions: Runners Knee (aka Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome).  The recovery from this is to be rest and physical therapy, and the Doctor and Fellows had a good laugh over the idea of "fixing me in four days."  There is "good" news though... the doctor said that though it would be painful to run the marathon on Sunday, I could most likely do it without causing any permanent, irreparable damage.  And though he didn't seem to think running a marathon in 4 days was a great idea, he also didn't strongly discourage me from racing, and I am taking that as a green light.  That said, I will keep his advice in mind and if it gets really bad, "don't overdo it and wait to run a better day."


No comments:

Post a Comment