Monday, January 14, 2013

New Year, New Plan

In preparation for my first half iron triathlon, I am phasing into a training schedule that has a bit less running and a lot more cross training.  The full plan is here... hopefully I can stick to it and make it through Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in June!

Week 1 
Between the holiday and coming down with a cold, I ended up changing the plan quite a bit for this week.  Not much cross training, but with Sunday's 10 I ended up with 40 miles for the week and no knee pain, so I'll take it.

Monday:  Took advantage of having the day off for NYE.  
12M with Lora (1:45) followed by a 90 minute cycling class at Sync

Thursday: Attempt at speedwork by myself on the ATT was pretty much a failure.  
6M with a few 800s (3:24, 3:17, 3:18) and 400s (99, 97)

Friday: Cold but enjoyable 5M Rise run with Jen D and Ellen (41:43) 

Saturday: Frosty 50K relay - 12.5K (58:31) 

Week 2
Thankfully my knee is still holding up, but I feel slow and out of shape and am just working on rebuilding some base fitness.  34 miles of running, 2 spin classes, 20 miles outside on the bike, 2 strength training/yoga classes, and 1250 in the pool.  Feeling tired, but not terrible, and excited to be getting back into a solid routine.


Monday:  TRX Flow at Sync 

Tuesday: Back to back cycling classes

Wednesday: Was supposed to include 400s, but after the extra cycling class on Tuesday, I wasn't feeling it and a nice conversational pace with Jen seemed far more appealing. 5M (42:02)

Thursday: First time in the pool in over a month. 1250 yds pull (26:00)

Friday: Cold, dark, and raining, and I totally would have skipped it had I not been meeting friends.   Started out with 5.5M with Jen W and Bex, who eventually sped up so I finished solo.  A few decent miles in the middle (7:36, 7:24, 7:33, 7:20).  Followed up with another 5 miles at an easy pace (42:01).

Saturday: Met a group of BCTC ladies at Rise for a little out and back on the ATT (and a donut, of course).  Ran in the middle of the pack with Karen a little faster than planned, but felt pretty good (6M, 48:33).  Followed the run with a TRX/yoga class at Sync and capped off the day with a 20 mile bike ride with Bex.  It felt great to get back out on the bike, especially since it was almost 70 and sunny.  Good workouts, great company, and beautiful weather... no complaints!

Sunday: Another Rise run, wearing shorts in January!  12 miles on the ATT with Duke fitness challenge and BCTC teammates Rachel and Caren (1:35:10), with about half in the 7:30s/7:40s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment