Friday, May 3, 2013

Ramping up the Tri Training

Though I would normally like to take more than one day off post-marathon, there are only SIX WEEKS until the Raleigh Ironman 70.3!

The optimist in me is hoping that this will go well, but the pragmatist has some doubts...  

+ I know I can swim 1.2 miles in a pool without much difficulty
- The lake is a different story... drowning is still a possibility
+ I can easily ride 56 miles on the bike
- Getting in under my 3-hour time goal will require riding much faster than I'm used to
+ Running 13.1 miles... piece of cake
- After almost 4 hours of swimming and biking and potentially in 90 degree heat and humidity... not so much

I imagine the reality is somewhere in the middle, but regardless, I have a lot of work to do!

Monday
AM - 4M Rise run with Ellen and Sarah (31:12).  Sort of progression-ish (7:52-7:41-7:37)

Tuesday
AM - Swimming (1400 yards including 3 x 100)
PM - 60 minutes trainer including 4 x 5 minutes fast

Wednesday
AM - 6M with Ellen (47:55), including 4 x 400 (101-95-101-94)
PM - 40 minutes trainer moderate

Friday 
AM - 7M with Jen and Amy (56:50), including 1-2-3-2-1-2-3 minute ladder (intervals run at 6:30 pace)
PM - Swimming (2000 yards including 800 at race pace and 4 x 50)

Saturday
Long ride at Mapleview (64M, 4:00:09).  This was my longest ride to date, and other than Lystra (200 feet of elevation gain in less than a mile), I fared ok.  The ride was a bit slower than what I'm hoping for in the 70.3 (16 mph; my goal is 19), but it was good to get in some extended time on the bike.  Bex and I followed up the ride with a quick 1 mile run (7:30).  It was tough to slow down my legs, and I definitely need to add more bricks to the schedule.

Sunday 
Long run with a great group of BCTC women (12.65M, 1:40:55).  
Legs were a bit sore from Saturday's ride, but I managed to make it through the run with most of miles 4-12 in the 7:40-7:50 range - mostly due to the fact that my training partners are all faster than I am and I didn't want to be left behind!

Weekly totals: Swim (1.94M), Bike (64 + 1:40 on the trainer); Run (30.7)

Monday
AM - 4M Rise run in the rain with Ellen (31:58)
PM - Swimming (1400 yds, mostly pull)

Tuesday
AM - 7M with Ellen, including 6 x 400 at 10K-half pace.  Not exactly speedy and my legs feel like lead.  Plus, the NC humidity is back in full force.
PM - Brick with some of the Duke Tri Club - 17M on the bike and a short transition run

Wednesday
5M easy run with Amy

Thursday
Trainer - 40 minutes moderate with high intensity intervals throughout

Friday 
2000 yard (almost Half IM distance) time trial (42:30).  Not fast, but it's the longest distance I've done without taking a break, so I am pleased, and feeling optimistic of getting through the swim and T1 in less than an hour.

Up next... another marathon relay!  Can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment