Friday, February 8, 2013

Training update - February 8


Trying to get a little speed back...

Monday:  Not feeling great and the weather was cold and drizzly, but thankfully I had Ellen to keep me motivated (5M, 39:29).  Hopefully it won't take long to feel better, or to get back into my normal routine.  

Tuesday: Morning progression run with Ellen.  I stick felt sick but managed to suck it up and make it through most of the miles as planned.  The goal was 8-7:45-7:30-7:15-7:00-6:45 and a 2 mile cool down.  I was ok through 5 but opted for a second 7 min/mile instead of the 6:45 because I just couldn't bring myself to run faster.  In the end it was 8:06-7:44-7:27-7:14-7:03-7:04, and 8 miles total in an hour flat. 
PM - Back to back cycling classes

Wednesday: Cycling at Sync

Thursday: Met Jen D and Jen L for a little speed work on the ATT. We jogged about a mile and a half warmup, then 2 x (5x100) with a minute rest in between sets, 2 miles at tempo pace, another 2 x (5x100) and a short cool down jog.  I didn't take splits on the individual 100s, but I felt like I was working hard and I think that was the point.  

Friday: Still sick... really over this stupid cough.  Converted the BCTC workout from minutes to even mileage, and ran with Ellen on the ATT.  The plan was 2M warm up, 1.5M at half marathon pace (Goal: 7-7:15, Actual: 7:01) - .5 recovery - 1M at 10K pace (Goal: sub-7, Actual: 6:48) - .5 recovery - 1.5 at half pace (Goal: 7-7:15, Actual: 7:02).  The repeats at half pace felt relatively comfortable, and given that I'm sick and have been feeling really slow lately, this workout went better than I could have expected.   

Saturday: Left the house at 3am to drive out to Uwharrie and volunteer at the Mountain Run.  After sitting outside in 20 degree weather for 5 hours, I didn't manage to get a Saturday workout in.  

Sunday: 14 mile Rise run with Bex, Lane, and Sarah.  Bex was recovering from the race at Uwharrie so the pace was a little slower than usual, but it was nice to get it done and of course to follow it up with a Rise fritter, donut, and biscuit (I couldn't decide, so I had one of each... oops).  Ended the day with a Superbowl-themed cycling class at Sync.  Overall a decent week (40 miles and 4 cycling classes), despite the bronchitis.  

Tuesday: 8 miles with Ellen, with 5 miles at 7:05 pace.  The weather was warmer than expected (40 instead of 30), and I am finally feeling better, so it actually went pretty well.  Ellen took off at the 4th working mile so I ended up doing the last two solo but stuck to the pace plan (working miles 7:03-7:03-7:05-7:08-7:02).  PM - back to back cycling classes.

Wednesday: My knee was bothering me a bit, so I decided to take the day off.  I should have gone to the pool, but I am having a really hard time motivating to swim when it's freezing outside.  I'd better get over that pretty quickly, or I am going to be in big trouble come June 2.

Thursday: My first TRX class in weeks.  It felt good to do some strength training, but I am really going to feel this one, especially in the glutes thanks to some one-legged squats, lunges, and glute bridges, among other things...


Friday: Because we are racing this weekend, we decided to try to get some longer mileage in on Friday instead of the usual Sunday long run.  The plan was to run 14 miles with Ellen, but some serious muscle soreness from yesterday's TRX class was literally a pain in the butt and I decided to call it a day early and only run 8.  Hoping the  110% compression shorts (with built-in ice packs) and foam roller have me ready to go by Sunday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment