Sunday, September 16, 2012

Boston-bound!

When I first started running 5 years ago, I thought finishing the 10 mile race near my house was a pretty crazy goal, and couldn't believe that I actually did it.  At that point, running under 8 minute miles or finishing a marathon had never crossed my mind, so registering for the Boston marathon this week was a really exciting event for me, and a good reminder of all the progress I've made over these last few years.  It shows that anything really is possible if you're willing to work for it!  My calendar is now marked for April 15 :)

I also registered for my first 50K - the Frosty 50 in Winston-Salem on January 5.  Combined with the Raleigh Ironman 70.3, it looks like the first half of 2013 will be very busy!

In more current news... the cooler temps are amazing!  The same distance and pace that we were doing a couple of weeks ago feels exponentially easier without the 90 degree temps and 98 percent humidity, so it's been a great week!

Monday: Sync Cycling

Tuesday: 8.5M in 1:06:20 (7:48)
Legs were feeling a little heavy from last weeks relatively high mileage, so I was dreading speedwork.  My schedule called for 7x1000s and Sara's was for 2x800 and 4x1M, so we decided to mash them together into 2x800-3x1000-2x1600.  All of the 800s and 1000s were in the 6:40-6:50 pace range and both mile repeats were just under 7 minutes.  Surprisingly, we were able to chat for almost the entire time, with the exception the last 200m or so of each repeat, and I felt pretty spry and energetic when we finished the workout.  I am certain the much-improved weather (mid-50s) is responsible for this, but regardless I am still shocked by how "not miserable" it felt to be running at a pace that started with a 6!

Wednesday: 5.5M in 43:41 (7:57)
First solo run in a long time... definitely not as enjoyable as it is with company!  It was a nice cool morning though, and I bought some new music for my ipod so it wasn't that bad. For each big race I try to find one song that to play over and over in my head.  By the end of a half or full marathon, I am pretty sick of it, but is does seem to help me stick to my even pace plan.  For this marathon, it looks like the go-to song will be "Let's Go" (Calvin Harris).  The tempo seems to put me around my goal pace, and the lyrics are certainly race-appropriate:
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing
It's all about where you're going no matter where you've been
Let's go!

Thursday: TRX, 7M in 57:30 (8:13)
Averaged 8:08 from the three hilly (mostly uphill) miles from my house to the West 94th St Pub and then did an easy 4 with Rachel on the Third Fork Creek trail.  The plan was to run home as well, but after standing around talking for a bit I decided to take a friend up on her offer of a ride.  

Friday: Sync Cycling

Saturday: 20M in 2:51:06 (8:33)
It was supposed to be a step-back week for my long run, but since I have a half marathon next weekend I switched next week's 20 and the 15 I had on the schedule for today.  Lora met up with me for the middle 16 miles and we did a nice leisurely out and back on the southern sections of the ATT.  They have made a lot of progress on the Durham section of the trail, and I'm really hopeful that at least the section from my house to Chatham will be finished soon!

Sunday: Magnificent Mile in 5:52
I didn't think I'd be able to run faster than I did last year, especially not after Saturday's 20-mile run, but I set a new PR!  More details in the full race report to come later...

Weekly Total: 42 Miles in 5:44:32


No comments:

Post a Comment